Grangeville Centennial Library Regular Board Meeting
January 19, 2017
The meeting was called to order by Serena Jackson at 6:03 PM. Those present were: Brett Rogers, Serena Jackson, David Rauzi, Meleah McCulley, Amy Farris, Michele Waite, Angie Norman, and Susan Anderson.
The Board approved the minutes from the November 17, 2016 meeting. Angie shared the budget to date and it was reviewed. It appeared to be on schedule for expenditures at this time.
Angie gave a library update report:
- Writers’ Club continues with John Sangster’s leadership with 7-10 meeting monthly.
- Teen Coffee Club has interest from a high school student interested in it as a senior project. Friends of Centennial Library (FoCL) may be asked to donate funds to offset costs.
- Book Club is led by Shellie Pierce. They have decided to focus on the Let’s Talk About It series and are adding the Idaho Days book, Buffalo Coat, with a discussion on March 28, at 6 PM.
- Candice continues her story time program for 4-6 year olds on Wednesdays, 1-1:30. She has the topics scheduled through February.
- The library has added 411 items in the past six months. This includes 115 DVDs, 21 CD books, and 275 books.
- FoCL had a meeting on January 12 with three new board members added. Jamie Everson is President, Melissa Lane is Vice President, and Michele Waite is secretary. The next meeting is April 13.
- The website and Facebook page have been updated by Candice with frequent postings to keep the community informed.
Upcoming events at the library:
- Let’s Talk About It for the first book, The Dirty Life, was rescheduled from January 17 to March 7, because of weather.
- Idaho Days book discussion will occur on March 28, talking about Idaho author, Carol Ryrie Brink’s book, Buffalo Coat.
- Angie has applied for a $100 grant to bring a folk singer/songwriter to Grangeville on April 25. We hope to partner with Grangeville Elementary Middle School (GEMS) to offer a venue that will allow us to have more community members attend. The grant will cover all expenses for the performance by Tracy Morrison.
- Angie will plan to present her request to the City Council in February on potential uses for the room that formerly was used by the genealogy group.NEW BUSINESS
- Summer Reading has several high school students interested in participating for senior projects. Angie will be meeting with Lynn Johnson at GEMS to make some plans. Angie would like to have a kickoff this summer in Pioneer Park with a band out of Missoula, the Whiz Pops. The board discussed some options for possible funding of such an event.
- Staff reviews have not been conducted recently. Angie and Michele proposed using a consistent format for review with discussion of expectations, performance, and goals for the future with each employee before the next staff meeting on February 18.
- Angie proposed writing a new job description for a Lead Library Aide that would include additional duties, including training aides and volunteers. The board approved a motion to offer an additional $1/hour to the Lead Aide for performing additional duties for no more than 19 hours/week.
- Angie and Michele are going to a conference in March. All expenses are covered by a grant.
- The FoCL have put aside money to upgrade the children’s area of the library. Angie is beginning to get bids on the project. It is a challenge to time the renovation because the library must remain open, and it cannot occur during the summer. She will move forward with some suggestions from the Board and see if some of the work can still be accomplished this winter.
- David raised a concern about the donation jar being easily accessible. Perhaps another configuration would make it less accessible, yet still visible to patrons who wish to donate.
- David has contacted Brennan Wright as his possible replacement on the Board. Brennan will be invited to the March meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:40 PM
The next regular meeting is scheduled for March 16, 2017 at 6 PM.