The meeting was called to order by Serena Jackson at 6:15 PM. Those present were: Serena Jackson, David Rauzi, Angie Norman, and Susan Anderson.
The Board approved the minutes from the January 19, 2017 meeting. Angie shared the budget to date and it was reviewed. She noted that the firewall contract will be up for renewal and it appears the new contract will cost an additional $18 per month starting in July. Eighty percent of the cost is covered by erate. The budget appeared to be on schedule for expenditures at this time.
Angie gave a library update report:
- Art in the Park—in process of sending out flyers with applications to vendors. Application fee is increased, with a discount for both day participants.
- Summer Reading—
- Lending library will be part of a Senior Project, with a weekly breakfast visit at the Farmers Market, GEMS lunch program weekly, and pool weekly snack visit.
- The kickoff party will be on June 18, at Pioneer Park. Whizpops concert is confirmed. Expect to have a craft station, sandbox activity, lending library, reading corner, USFS fire truck and Smokey the Bear, large Jenga block game, police K-9 demonstration with Wes Walters and Tazer. Angie will see if she can get the Grangeville Boosters to provide food and perhaps the bulldog mascot and cheerleaders. She will also ask Fish & Game to see if they could have an activity.
- Additional activities in the summer program will include building a terrarium with Green Acres and building bird houses with the Lions Club.
- FoCL has provided $500 for summer reading.
- Children’s area renovation—heaters are out, carpet installation tomorrow, will have new desktop next week. Furniture has been ordered and rugs will be ordered. The renovation is funded by FoCL. Angie will plan an open house in April.
- Directors’ summit—Angie attended in Boise and learned many ideas for the children’s area and computer use. She wants to use the Kindles and ask the community members what they would like to see.
- Idaho Commission for Libraries “Read to Me” training was attended by Michele and Candice on March 13 in Nezperce. The training focused on early literacy skills. Candice hopes to incorporate more of these into the Children’s programs, creating more of a learning environment as opposed to a craft time.
- ValNet Circulation—fine collection procedures will be different March 15-May 15, to determine if libraries need to transfer funds between them. During this time, only replacement or damage fees will be transferred. Water damage has been noted more with couriered books. More attention will be paid to the condition of the books when they are delivered. Libraries also need to stricter on hold policies. Libraries want items returned if not picked up within seven days.
- Let’s Talk About It—has been a success. Attendance 10-16 for discussions. Patrons enjoy meeting at the Gallery and would like to have the program again.
- Book Club—Shellie Pierce is leading the group. They were on hiatus during Let’s Talk About It, but will be back on March 18, at 6 PM discussing Buffalo Coat.
- Writers Club is doing well with consistent numbers each month, between 7-10 attending, John Sangster leading.
- Story Time—Candice is conducting Wednesday 1:00-1:30, for ages 4-6. Topics have been determined through April.
- FoCL—emergency meeting held Thursday, February 23. Donated $500 to Summer Reading and are matching a Pilcrow Grant in-process, which will allow GCL to receive about a dozen children’s books per month. FoCL has a logo contest in process. Additional ideas for fundraising were discussed.
- Make It training—Angela and Candice will participate in the training March 27-28.
- Elaine Crea Meeting Room—GCL has a 3-year contract with the city to use the room for Make It space, proctoring exams, book group, etc. It will be useful space.
Upcoming events at the library:
- Let’s Talk About It—meeting March 21, 5:30 to discuss Chocolat; April 11, 5:30 to discuss My Year of Meats (the final book). All meetings held at The Gallery.
- Idaho Days—hosted by Book Club, discussing Buffalo Coat March 28, 6 PM at GCL.
- Jumpstart Program—April 12, 8AM-4 PM, GCL hosting information table at GEMS Kindergarten Roundup, to offer children’s books, magnets, and library card applications.
- Tracy Morrison Concert—April 25, 6 PM at GEMS, library sponsoring the event. Hope to offer food as fundraising for summer reading program. Grangeville Health and Rehab cookies for the fundraising. The GEMS Book Fair will also be open that evening.
- May the 4th Be With You—Hannah Rauzi is conducting a fun night of trivia, costume contest, snacks, and more.
- Staffing—Angela notified the Board that Michele Waite has resigned as assistant Director. Angie will be working to fill the position.
- Library Board Terms—David Rauzi’s term ended 1/2015. His replacement may be able to attend the next meeting. Serena Jackson’s term will end 1/2020. She notified the Board that she will be moving out of town in June, so she will no longer be eligible to continue on the Board. The Board needs to recruit some possible candidates.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:12 PM
The next regular meeting is scheduled for May 18, 2017 at 6 PM.