Grangeville Centennial Library Special Board Meeting
July 25, 2019
Meeting was called to order by Meleah McCulley at 5:03 PM. Those present: Meleah McCulley, Susan Anderson, Betty Nafziger, Brennan Wright, Gina Sobrero, and Michael Peterson. Absent: Heidi Brown and Danielle Reynolds.
Items added to the agenda: Housekeeping discussion, Dolly Parton Imagination Library discussion, and Community Calendar discussion.
Approve May 30, 2019 Board minutes ACTION ITEM
Betty moved and Brennan seconded to approve the board minutes from May 30, 2019. Motion passed.
Gina shared the most recent budget report. Approximately 65% of the budget has been spent to date, which is reasonable for this time of year. A question was asked about the VALNet expense. Gina explained the $5400 budgeted amount is for the entire year and it will remain the same for the coming year.
• Gina shared the library report. Art in the Park book sale raised $443. She does not have numbers on how much was raised through Art in the Park vendors’ fees. The six-week summer reading program ended. There were 189 participants with activities, incentives, and games. Jumpeez donated games and the inflatable bouncy house. Kids had a chance to win prizes by getting a ticket when they turned in their reading logs. Prizes were donated or paid by grants. Jungle Gym gave discounts for pizza; soda and water were donated by Cash and Carry. Kids had a goal to read 10 hours and many read much more to have more chances at the prizes. At the final party/celebration, 134 participants came.
• GCL will participate in Let’s Talk About It again. FOCL paid the $100 fee. The Idaho Commission for Libraries (ICL) theme for the next round is Humor and Satire.
• Storytime will start again in August. Date to be determined.
1. There was no discussion on creating a library district.
2. Amended 2020 Board meeting dates ACTION ITEM. Brennan moved to update the 2020 meeting dates because of a typo on the May 30, 2019 minutes, Betty seconded the motion. Motion passed. The dates have been corrected to read:
Thursday, January 16, 2020 5:00 PM
Thursday, March 19, 2020 5: 00 PM
Thursday, May 21, 2020 5:00 PM
Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:00 PM
Thursday, September 17, 2020 5:00 PM
Thursday, November 19, 2020 5:00 PM
1. Planning steps for 5-year Strategic Plan ACTION ITEM. Meleah had read through the documents shared by Emily Sitz at our last meeting as well as the information available online through the sites Emily had shared and the old GCL strategic plan from 2010. Meleah synthesized the information and created a template that could be used to work on a Strategic Plan for the library. The first step in the plan is to create a vision and the Board discussed how it could survey the community to get input on developing the vision. Gina stated that at the end of programs, participants are surveyed using surveys prepared by ICL.
Susan made a motion that a subcommittee be formed (consisting of Meleah, Brennan, Gina, and Heidi) that will begin strategic planning using a template as shared at this meeting and bring possible survey questions to the September Board meeting. Brennan seconded the motion. Motion passed.
2. Housekeeping items discussed—Betty is now getting the Envoy Newsletter from ICL. Brennan hasn’t seen it, but it could have been tossed as junk mail. Gina will check to see if he is on the ICL list. Meleah has created a Drop Box folder that will give the Board members access to documents electronically so we can save some paper.
3. Dolly Parton Imagination Library—Betty had heard about this through a friend in Dillon, MT. It is an international program that gives free books to children from birth to age 5 and is for rural areas. Gina will check into the program.
4. Community Calendar—Brennan said that a member of the Eagles contacted him wondering if the library might be interested in taking over the community calendar. It is a money maker, but it takes a lot of time to coordinate. Gina said she had also been contacted, but didn’t see how it would fit into their work schedule. Perhaps FOCL would be interested.
The next meeting will be September 19, 2019, at 5 PM.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:23 PM.