City of Grangeville
Class Title Animal Control Officer/ Administrative Assistant
How to Apply City Police Department Application
Duration Part-time – maximum 29 hours per week
DOE $9.27 to $16.64 an hour
General Statement of Duties
Under direction, performs general to more complex paraprofessional duties in a non-sworn capacity in support of Police Department Animal Control and Code Enforcement operations, services, and functions including but not limited to the areas of enforcement of city ordinances related to animals and other city codes, impounding of animals, transportation of animals, caring for animals kept in the pound, cleaning and maintenance of the pound facilities, keeping records, writing reports, conducting investigations and testifying in court as necessary. Assisting with program or project implementation, program management; works closely with and provides support to Police Chief and sworn police officers to relieve sworn police officers of technical police related duties in the field and office; performs a variety of other duties based on the needs of the Police Department including those related to special assignments.
This position performs a variety of technical and enforcement duties in support of the City’s Animal Control & Code Enforcement programs. This position also assists the Chief of Police and other Police Department Staff with enforcement duties, events, special projects and other duties as determined by the Chief of Police and/or Sergeant.
Examples of Work
• Prepares basic criminal reports; completes and processes criminal mail-in reports; uses a computer terminal or personal computer to enter and retrieve data.
• Maintains various logs and records including those of work performed; creates, maintains, and submits daily officer’s log on both paper and electronic media.
• Testifies in court proceedings as required; prepares exhibits for the Prosecutor and court as assigned.
• Participates in the development, administration and monitoring of assigned program budget(s) and fiscal activities; assists in projecting future funding needs.
• Provides a full range of information to citizens and other interested parties; interprets, applies and explains ordinances, rules, codes, and regulations; enforces codes.
• Attends and participates in local and regional training and professional group meetings; keeps informed of new trends and innovations; prepares and gives presentations to various groups including citizen groups, committees, homeowner associates, schools, public service organizations, City staff, and other groups as requested.
• May direct, assign, and monitor the work of assigned staff or volunteers; provides direction; maintains a positive and productive work environment; may evaluate work performance and recommend appropriate corrective actions.
• Provides customer service to citizens at the Police Department front-desk; answers telephones, provides information and routes calls to appropriate personnel; greets visitors, provides information, and logs in visitors; releases copies of crime, arrest, and traffic reports in accordance with guidelines; prepares agency releases for towed/stored vehicles.
• Accepts, records, and distributes criminal and civil subpoenas; enters service information into computer.
• Processes and monitors various licenses including animal, firearms dealer, catering permits, alcohol related licenses and permits, pawnbroker, and secondhand dealer licenses;
• Maintains evidence from criminal cases investigated by the police department. Keeps an accurate record of all evidence in departmental custody including its location and status. Disposes of/returns evidence as prescribed by law. Works with the prosecuting attorneys to make sure that evidence is processed in a timely manner and available for court proceedings when needed. Assists in processing evidence and shipping it to state labs for necessary testing when required.
• Other duties as assigned by Chief of Police or Sergeant.
Acceptable Experience and Training
• High School diploma or GED.
• Possession of a current valid Idaho Driver’s License.
• Subject to a background check.
• Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• Desire and ability to work with animals. Must be able to handle, trap, catch, transport and care for animals and be in their environment with no adverse effects.
• Ability to learn and perform animal facility cleaning and maintenance involving the use of cleaning and disenfecting products.
• Modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers.
• Principles and practices of record keeping and reporting.
• Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
• Computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and statistical databases.
• Procedures and techniques of evidence collection, handling, and preservation including fingerprint examination, classification, and comparison.
• Safe work methods and safety regulations pertaining to the work including officer safety standards and safe driving principles and practices.
• Effective communication skills and techniques required for gathering, evaluating and transmitting information.
• Principles and practices of customer service.
• Effective English usage, to include proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings and weekends.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Successful Applicant will have a High School Diploma or equivalent and a current Valid Idaho Driver’s License. Experience in municipal Law & Code Enforcement including Animal Control and the operation of the Windows 7 operating system and Office 2013, is desired. Application is available at Grangeville City Hall, 225 W North Street, Grangeville, Idaho.
The City of Grangeville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace
Position is open until filled