Training meeting Monday, September 28, 2020
- Meeting called to order at 1800
- Trunk or Treat is set for October, 31st, Saturday, from 1-3 at the Courthouse.
- Bob wanted Rick to know that he did a great job with the tender at the field fire on White Tail Lane last week. He mentioned that in the future please watch placement of the tender. Remember to park in one spot, not in the middle of the road. Also, talking about the field fire when you leave the truck on a field fire grab a hand held radio.
- 1830: Bob told everyone to drive all Engines/Trucks around town until he calls them to return to the station. DO NOT, DO NOT return to station until he lets you know. Turn all radios to Red Tac for communication. While all firemen are driving other firemen will prepare the station for training.
- Training 1915: Bob explained that firemen will enter the station, which is full of “smoke” and search for a fire and a possible victim. Two different teams entered the building which was fully filled with smoke that limited visibility to 12”. Firemen went in teams of three looking for “fire and a victim”. One team entered and went clockwise and the second team went in the building and went counterclockwise. Firemen used radios to communicate the situation of fire, possible hazards, and location of each team in the building. After victims were located firemen left the station.
- 2020: After firemen removed their bunkers and put SCBA and equipment away firemen met upstairs to debrief tonight’s training. Dan mentioned that from his observation that communication is the vital to any fire situation including search and rescue. Dan commented that everyone should use their outside voice to tell members of their team their location, what they are thinking and doing and what they observe. When you communicate make sure other team members respond to your comments to check if you were heard. Other constructive ideas included using a strap to increase search area, and using clear and direct commands on the radio. Discussion continued on following the NFPA guidelines for location of building sides.
- Meeting adjourned at 2045
Bob Mager 541, Brian Perry 542, Jared Andrews 543.